It's that time of year again, the celebration of the birth of the Prophet!!This is a reprint with some added goodies (in bold at the end). Hope everyone is enjoying the celebrations, and all the rain! What a mercy.
"And when Aminah was pregnant with him
She did not complain about anything that befalls (pregnant) women
For Gentleness from the Lord of the heavens encompassed her
And Barred from her all harm, worry, and sadness
She saw (in a vision), as was narrated to us
That the Guardian (Allah) was going to Honor the Creation
Through the pure one who was in her womb, so she Rejoiced!
And the time for labor drew near, so she was filled with
And the lights emanated from all directions
For the birth of the one given intercession had arrived
And before dawn, the Sun of Guidance emanated
The Beloved became manifest, honored and protected"
An excerpt from "The Shimmering Light" compiled by the great scholar Habib Umar
Ustadha Eiman Sidky (May Allah protect her) is a treasure house of knowledge and goodness. Her accounts of the life of the Prophet (peace be upon him) are intimate, compelling and fascinating. She teaches a seerah class for women online each Saturday. In honor of the upcoming mawlid, she recently enlightened us on the pregnancy of the Prophet's mother, Aminah, and about some of the secrets of his birth. To think of our blessed Prophet in the womb of his mother and the stellar impact of his birth, is moving and awe inspiring.
- During her pregnancy, Aminah felt a light within her and one day it shone bright enough for her to see the castles of Bostra in Syria. Again before her delivery she also saw this intense light, light all the way to Syria.
- Once, while pregnant, Aminah heard a voice say to her, "Thou carriest in thy womb the lord of his people; and when he is born say: 'I place him beneath the protection of the One, from the evil of every envier'; then name him Muhammad"*
- When it was time for the labor, Aminah did not feel pains.
- At the time of the birth of the Prophet (peace be upon him) there were no impurities; no blood or other impurities that normally occur at a birth.
- The midwife who delivered the Prophet, Shifa'a, was the mother of 'Abd ar-Rahman ibn 'Awf (May Allah be pleased with them both).
- The night of the mawlid Shifa'a was sleeping, dreaming of a full moon that was about to fall into her lap. She was awakened from the dream by a knocking on the door, it was some one sent to bring her to Aminah so that she could help with the birth of the world's last prophet.
- When the Prophet was born, he was born in sajdaah. Shifa'a said that he smelled of musk and was the most beautiful baby she had ever seen. She knew that this baby would become something grand.
- When he was laid on the bed, he clutched his blessed little, newborn fingers into fists, all but the index finger of his right hand. La ilaha ila Allah from the time of his birth!
- Every animal in talked on day of birth - they said she is carrying rasool allah and he is lord of ka'aba
- Every bed belonging to a king was flipped upside down
- All of the statues were upside down, a sign that the worship of One God would reign
- The year of his blessed birth was a year of opening, year of happiness. It was very green, as there was lots of food and rain, after years of drought
*Exact wording taken from "Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources" by Martin Lings