Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Welcome to Hakima Midwifery!!

Pregnancy B&W portrait (2) by taqu.
Pregnancy B&W portrait by Taqu

A salaam u alaikum and welcome to the Hakima Midwifery blog! I am a Licensed Midwife in Oakland, California. I have noticed that within the Muslim community there is interest in out of hospital birth, but there is also hesitancy and a skepticism. Through this blog I hope to show not only the safety of out of hospital birth, but also the desirability of it. I have been blessed to have my own home birth, and to attend Muslims at home as well as in a freestanding birth center. I believe we have a large body of wisdom amongst us and it is my hope that this forum can be a resource for collecting and building upon that. There is a resonance between the sacredness of a birth and Islam, a tradition wherein even the most mundane is elevated to the sacred. I believe that the sanctity of a new life is often best preserved at home with little intervention. It is in this setting, with the mother in her own comfortable surroundings, monitored by trained midwives, allowed to move freely, and eat or drink, that the amazing expression of Allah's attributes through birth can be recognized. Birth stories from Muslimahs, interviews with Muslim doulas, midwives, childbirth educators and scholars, relevant articles and informative posts on pregnancy, birth and breast feeding will all be included. Insha'Allah this can be of benefit to the families of this ummah. Stay tuned and please feel free to contact me with any questions or with your own birth stories. You can find out more information about me and my midwifery practice at www.hakimamidwifery.com Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment